“…So here are five simple ways you can use social media to help you get hired:
- Post an online resume, using one of the free blogging apps like WordPress
- Buy the URL for your name and get a tech-savvy friend to point it to your online resume.
- Learn to use LinkedIn. It’s where the power professionals hang out. Twitter can also be a great self-promotion and connecting tool. Direct-message people you want to meet or retween something interesting they tweeted. (Just don’t do it so often that you come across as a suck-up or creeper)
- Set up a separate Facebook page or Pinterest Board for your professional self and connect with brands and individuals in your field of interest
- Start a blog or comment on other people’s blogs in your “passion category.” Listing your own blog on your resume shows your hiring manager or boss you have initiative (and that you can write too).”
States Nancy: “As a mom, I sometimes lapsed into the role of “Boss Lady” at home, helping both my daughters construct their resumes, role-play interviews, search for both summer and permanent jobs, and deal with at-work drama. I decided to make some of my wisdom (and wit) available to young women all over the world by writing/publishing my book with co-author Lindsay Ellen Brown, a 20-something writer who has had her own winding and successful career path. Although the preceeding excerpt deals just with online communication, the book includes lots of tips for face-to-face networking, which is more important than ever before in the digital age!” Order “Don’t Hook Up With the Dude in the Next Cube” via www.nunumedia.com, Amazon.com, or via www.2booms.com.
Nancy A. Shenker, a Chappaqua resident, is Founder/CEO of theONswitch® marketing as well as nunu media, LLC. After a long corporate career (including MasterCard and Citibank), she followed her heart to the world of entrepreneurship, writing, blogging, and professional speaking/training. Her daughters are now 19 (a sophomore at Cornell who was gainfully employed last summer!) and 23 (a Business Analyst at comScore). Nancy can be reached at email@example.com